Tuesday 8 March 2011

Luck

It's been 12 days since my last real blog entry and that's been down to 2 things: Firstly the crazy hecticness of my schedule over the last 10 days or so and secondly that I have had very little to say that's been Disney-related.

This week I decided to use my youtube channel for any videos that I make. I will continue to use the SDA prefix on any videos that are related to Disney and my experiences on the ICP so for those that have no interest in my other escapades it should be easy to spot the relevant videos. My apologies to those who 'accidentally' watched the most recent video expecting to see something directly related to Disney.

My little escapade away from SDA has taught me a couple of things:

1) People REALLY like my theme tune.

2) How amazing my life is at times.

I realise that both of those sound a bit 'all about me' so let me explain. The first one relates to a lovely comment I received via twitter from @Calloom who said he missed my theme tune on that latest video (and you know, having my theme tune sung in the middle of B'ham which STILL makes me lol). The second, again relates to some comments I received, this time about the new video...

For those that don't know what video I'm talking about (it's on the youtube channel) it is a short compilation of footage that I recorded on Saturday night at the cast change for Love Never Dies. The atmosphere outside the theatre was a bit like being at a rock concert except that it was a musical that has, for the most part, been (somewhat unfairly) ripped apart by attacks from people in the blogosphere. It was no accident that I was there and the inner vlogger in me (that always carries around a Flip Video) naturally started recording some of the events. Many of the comments i have received about the video (all of which have been lovely) are some variation of how lucky I was to be there. For me this is odd because while I was fortunate to witness the events (which I'm sure no-one predicted would involve the principal cast leaning out of windows and playing the guitar) my presence was planned. The comments did make me think about how lucky I have been to have had the experiences that I have had, many of which have been a combination of hard work and luck.

If I look back on the last 10 years and the events that occurred its incredible to think that if one thing had changed I might not be where I am today or had the experiences I had.
If I had not been bullied at school I might not have changed schools after my GCSEs.
If I hadn't changed schools I might not have been interviewed at Oxford and made the friends I did or had the opportunity to take Film Studies at school.
If I hadn't studied Maths at Royal Holloway I wouldn't have gone to study at UCLA.
If I hadn't gone to UCLA I wouldn't have decided to drop out and switch to Film Studies.
If I hadn't dropped out I wouldn't have met some of my closest friends.
If I hadn't studied film at school I might not have been accepted to study it at King's.
If I hadn't studied at King's I wouldn't have taken part in the ICP or been able to develop my interest in the theatre.

At some point every part of that involves some form of luck. Ultimately, perhaps I should be grateful to those instigators of decision #1. They potentially changed my life for ever and now, for two summers in a row, I get to make magic happen with a company that has inspired me since I was 2 years old.


No comments:

Post a Comment