Thursday 28 April 2011

Golden Dream '11

So here's one of the things I love about the USA - the patriotism of its people. Sure, sometimes it feels like a bit much but I think that over the last 60 years Brits have indulged in apathy towards their country. The first time I really felt proud to be British was when I moved to Los Angeles in 2006. I was the only Brit in my dorm complex and I really felt proud to be there, representing my country, especially as I am someone that feels far more personally connected to the US than the UK.

Today is the Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton and the entire country is celebrating. Irrelevant of anyone's feelings about the Royal Family today should be an amazing day to be British. We stand united, celebrating our past, our present and our future, watched by the world at large.

Fairytales are about finding your equal. Someone that both deserves and is deserving of you. The press have jumped on the fact that Kate is a "commoner" and I grew up with people with very similar backgrounds to her so am fully aware that it's not quite the rag-to-riches story that the media seem to be selling. I truly believe though that she will make an excellent future Queen and ambassador for my country and I wish her and Prince William every happiness.

One sad thing that seems to have happened because of all the focus on the wedding though is that the events happening in the Southern US States have been largely ignored and my thoughts are with the people that have been affected by the tornados.

That said let us enjoy our day of Britishness and celebrate together. Remember...It's not a party it's an intimate get-together. Take it away Candace!


No comments:

Post a Comment